Hard to believe we are at the midpoint of the school year. Although it’s been challenging for students, staff, and parents, I want to thank everyone for their perseverance and doing their best in the circumstances. Although we do not know what the second semester will look like, we will continue to try to find ways to make learning meaningful for all students. The positive attitude by students and staff has been inspirational and goes a long way to making the year as best as it can be.
Report Cards for grade 9 to 12 students will be posted on the parent portal on Friday, Feb. 12, 2021.
Hot Lunch Program seems to be a hit. Orders are on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and must be placed online before 10:00 am. Thanks to Ms. Nicolle and Marlene at the Bistro for their work on this.
Noon Hour Gym Activities. Students are enjoying the opportunity to play volleyball at noon. There are some strict protocols that we are following to reduce close contacts and transmissions and student have been great at cooperating with those protocols.
- Mondays- Grade 7’s
- Tuesdays – Grade 8’s
- Wednesdays – Grade 9
- Thursdays – Grade 10 – 12 Track A
- Fridays – Grade 10 – 12 Track B
- Feb. 10 is Sixer Day because it is the 96th day of school! Everyone is encouraged to wear their sixer gear or blue and white.
- Feb. 17 is Scarf Day
- Feb. 24 is Plaid Day
- Mar. 3 is Wear Red Day
Lockers for grade 10 – 12 students will be available for grade 10 – 12 students for winter wear only. Students need to let Ms. Nicolle they would like one during the week of Feb. 8 – 12.
Student and staff wellness
Check out the resources in the “Wellness” section under the “Student” tab on our website. https://lc.hsd.ca/students/wellness/
School and Divisional Supports available to students
- Ms. Penner is our school guidance counsellor and students can make appointments to meet with her at any time.
- Ms. Jessica Parisien is a divisional social worker assigned to our school. She is at Landmark Collegiate for two days every second week. She supports students who have been referred to her by the school and parents.
- Nikki Humenchuk is a counsellor from Addictions Foundation of Manitoba who comes to our school every two weeks. She available to students or parents of Hanover School Division and can be reached at email@example.com .
- SRSS Health Clinic ( https://hsd.ca/schools/health/srss-health-clinic/ ) is open and accessible to all HSD students. Services can be accessed either virtually or in-person. The clinic is staffed by Kimberley Boothe, full time nurse practitioner, Rebecca Remple, Dietitian/Nutritionist, and Laura Kehler, clinic reception. Students can make appointments via text at 204-392-0282, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 204-326-6426 (ext 5338). Primary care services that the clinic provides are
- Complete physicals and checkups
- Treatment of minor/acute injuries and illness
- Minor procedures
- Bloodwork and specimen collection
- Diagnostic testing
- Reproductive health
- Mental health help and information
- Health education and disease prevention
- Referral to other health professionals or specialists
- Dietician and Nutrition services
Grad Update – Unfortunately, we do not have any information to report on graduation at this time. The four HSD high schools are determined to create a grad that our grads will appreciate. I will begin meeting with our grads later this month to discuss some of the details of convocation. We will begin the process of choosing a valedictorian and guest speaker.
Grad Pictures – We are currently working on rescheduling grad pictures, but no date has been set. Lifetouch is waiting to receive permission to resume their services. We hope that we will know something by the end of the month. We have discussed the possibility of using a date during Spring Break if needed so that grads get their pictures before the end of the year.
Post-Secondary and Scholarship Information is on our website – Many universities have their open houses in February.
Public consultation regarding the Hanover School Division 2021-22 budget. As a result of COVID-19, this year’s budget presentation and subsequent public consultation will take place in a digital format. Beginning on Feb. 3, a PowerPoint slide presentation detailing the budget planning is on the division’s website at https://hsd.ca/governance/financial-information/public-consultation/ . Interested stakeholders will have the opportunity to provide budget planning feedback between the dates of Feb. 3-12, 2021.
No School on
- Monday Feb. 15, 2021 – Louis Riel Day
- Friday, Feb. 26, 2021 HSD PD Day.
- Friday, March 12, 2021 – HSD Inservice Day