Here are some updates as we head into the last three weeks before the Christmas Break. But first I want to thank everyone in the community for all the ways that you have supported us in the last year. It is one of the things that makes working in our school so great.
- Report cards and parent teacher interviews. Please check the parent portal as report cards were posted there on Friday, Nov. 19. If you missed parent teacher night, and would still like to meet with the teacher, please contact the teacher and arrangements can be made to discuss your child’s progress.
- The last day of classes is on Wednesday, December 22. There are a variety of things being planned that may not be as academic as a regular day, but they are important for teachers to build relationships and community in the classroom and to celebrate the hard work that has been don so far. We value having the students here on that day.
- The first day of classes after the break is Thursday, January 6, 2021. It will be day 6
- Sixers Athletics Update
Congratulations to the JV Boys Volleyball team for finishing 3rd at last week’s AA Provincial Elite 8 Volleyball Championships in Wawanesa. The boys finished the round robin undefeated and then lost a heartbreaker in the semifinals. They rebounded and won the third-place match after losing their first set. Cole Koop was named to the all-star team.
Good luck to both varsity teams who are playing this weekend in the AA Provincial Elite 8 Volleyball Championships. The boys are playing in McGregor on Dec. 3 – 4 and the girls are playing in Warren on Dec. 4-5. You can watch the games online. Go to our website to find the links.
Basketball Season is about to start. JV and Varsity teams will be practicing next week. Grade 7 and 8 Basketball will start after the Christmas Break. Vaccinations are required for all students ages 12 and up who want to play basketball starting Monday, Dec. 6, 2021. This includes games and practices.
- For those who are vaccinated, proof must be submitted to the parent portal or to the school office prior to participating.
- For those not vaccinated, proof of a negative test from a pharmacy within 72 hours of each event is required. All information must be submitted to the office and not to the coaches.
- Sixers Music Update All live in-person concerts are still on pause. However, Friesen will be recording a Christmas performance of all the bands and choirs on December 16 and 17. She will be sending out the recording to all parents of students who are in music program during the week of Dec. 20.
Our senior choirs will have a chance to perform in front of a live audience on Dec. 2 as they are singing outside at the Steinbach Canadian Tire from 11:30 – 12:00 as part of Mix 96.7’s toy drive.
- PTA Fundraiser: Thanks to everyone who supported the PTA Fundraiser. This raised some much-needed money for our extracurricular events and sign. Thanks, as well to the PTA members who worked so hard to get this together. The coffee and pizza can be picked up on Thursday, Dec. 9 from 3:30 – 5:30 pm at the Kinsmen Centre. If you ordered something from Oakridge Green House, coupons have been sent home with your child and you need to go to Oakridge to pick up your items.
- End of Semester Assessments for grade 9 – 12 will be from Jan. 31 – Feb. 3, 2022. A schedule will be sent out in early January.
- Digital Sign Update: Our digital sign is now operational. Thanks to the Landmark PTA, RM of Tache, The LUD of Landmark, The Kinsmen and the Kinsmen Centre for their generous donations and making this possible.
- It’s important that any student riding the bus have a warm jacket and gloves if the bus becomes inoperative while on route. Students will not be allowed to travel to shops, sporting events, or field trips if they are not dressed appropriately.
- As we move into winter the chance for inclement weather You can find school cancelation and bus delay information on the HSD website at https://hsd.ca
- Please check the parent portal for outstanding fees. We currently have over $11 000.00 outstanding. If you have ordered hot lunches or have sports fees owing, please clear up the fees.
- Religious Exercises have started. Lyndon Peters from Flatland will be conducting them in the Learning Commons from 8:50 – 9:00.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from all of us at Landmark Collegiate.
Have a safe and relaxing holiday everyone.