The second semester is now into full swing. The easing of restrictions is allowing us to make some changes which is making school feel more and more normal.
Thanks to our ELA teachers and Ms. Schalm for their efforts in promoting I Love to Read month. We had some excellent participation. Students and staff read over 315 books with the grade 7 and 8 students leading the way.
Report Cards and Assessment:
- Grade 7/8 report cards will be posted to the parent portal on Friday, March 18, 2022
- Middle Years Provincial Assessmentswill be sent home next week with all grades 7 and 8 students. A letter explaining the assessments will be sent with each report. You can learn more at https://www.edu.gov.mb.ca/k12/assess/myreporting.html
- Grade 9 – 12 report cards will be posted to the parent portal on Friday, April 22, 2022
- Parent teacher Nightand Showcase of Learning for all grades will be on Wednesday, April 27, from 4:00 – 7:30 pm. We would like to provide an opportunity for parents to see what their child is learning in school. Teachers will be set up in the gym for meetings and they will have stations set up in their class where students can show parents what they are learning in their courses. We first did this in 2019 and those parents who attended said it was a fantastic idea. Please come out and support your child’s learning. More details will be provided in April.
- Basketball season is going strong. There are no longer any vaccination requirements for spectators, however, you must still wear a mask while in the school. You can still catch the action online by going to our website to find the video link. You can also find a complete schedule of all games there as well. Grade 7 girls play on Tuesday nights, grade 7 boys play on Wednesday nights and grade 8 boys play on Thursday nights.
- Curling: For the first time in a few years, we had a curling team that participated in the Zone 13 playdowns. Congratulations to our five grade 10 girls who represented our school so well. We look forward to watching them grow and develop over the next 2 years.
- Planning is under way for graduation, which is on Wednesday, June 29, 2022, at 4:00 pm at Prairie Rose EMC. We are still unsure what it will look like, but we are planning for various possibilities including a full indoor convocation. Evergreen village is also booked for the banquet and parent safe grad.
- Grad Parent Meeting: I’m still waiting for some further information, but I would like to meet with grad parents before Spring Break. I will send out an invite in the next week.
- Scholarships: Grade 12 parents and students are encouraged to check our website regularly for updates on scholarships.
- Grad Pictures: it was great to see the grads get their grad pictures taken last week. If you require retakes or missed your appointment, they will be coming back to the school. Date yet to be confirmed.
The Grade 9 Parent Orientation Evening at the SRSS is tentatively set for Thursday, March 17, from 6:00-8:30 pm. The evening will consist of a 30-minute presentation and an Open House. Guided tours will also be available, and teachers and counselors will be present to answer specific questions. Contact Ms. Penner at our school if you have any questions.
Spirit Week and Fun Fridays:
- Friday, March 4: Hat Day and Noon Crokinole Tournament – bring a partner – Learning Commons
- Thursday, March 10: Wear Black and White Day and Noon Dutch Blitz Tournament – Learning Commons
- Thursday, March 17: St. Patrick’s Day – Wear Green
- Friday, March 18: Dress like an Elementary Students – Noon Maria Kart Tournament – Learning Commons
- March 21 – 15: Spirit Week. Daily Themes still to be determined
We have two student groups restarting again after a couple years. Our GSA group meets Wednesdays after school and our ICSF group meets Wednesday or Thursday mornings at 8:00 am
The PTA is running a Mom’s Pantry fundraiser from February 28 to March 16, 2022, for LES and LC schools. The fundraiser will provide much needed funds to run all our extracurricular events. Order forms were sent home this week with the youngest child in each family at Landmark Collegiate. Orders must be sent back to the schools by Wednesday, March 16, 2022. Pick up date for items ordered is still to be determined. IF you need extra order forms, please contact the school at 204-355-4020. Thanks again to the PTA for their help in raising funds for our schools. We thank everyone in the community for their support.
Science Lab Renovation:
The division has qualified for a grant to renovate our old science lab. This is a complete overhaul of the lab. Work is expected to start next week and hopefully will be completed by the start of the school year. There will be some relocation of classes during this time including using the learning commons for some classes. As well, Mr. Shumsky’s class will be disrupted for a couple of weeks (TBA). During that time, we have made arrangements for him to teach his classes out of Landmark Elementary School.
Spring Flooding Help:
The RM of Tache’ has requested if we can make our SY students available for help should an emergency arise due to Spring flooding. The School Division is allowing the school to take grade 11 and 12 students to help fill sandbags or lay sandbags where the help is needed. A permission form will be posted on the parent portal after Spring Break and only students with parent permission will be allowed to go help. Teachers will be on site to supervise.
No School On:
- Friday, March 11, 2022 – Professional Development Day
- March 26 to April 3, 2022 – Spring Break
- Friday, April 15, 2022 – Good Friday
- Monday, April 18, 2022 – Professional Development Day
School Driveway Reminder: Remember that you should not pass a bus while it is loading or unloading in our parking lot. We’ve had a few vehicles drive by while the bus stop sign is out. This is a serious traffic violation which bus drivers are to report.
Hanover School Division is looking for bus drivers. The school division provides all the training for free with applicants only required to provide a few items for a small fee. If you are interested, please contact email Robert Warkentin at email@example.com or call the transportation office 204-320-2347 for more information. You can also find the application on the employment tab at www.hsd.ca.
Check out our website at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow us on Instagram at @lc96ers.
I want to wish you all a safe and relaxing Spring Break. See you back on April 4, 2022