After five weeks we are in full swing. It’s been a great start to the year. Here are some things to note for the upcoming month
- Sixer Volleyball Season is now on for all teams. Thanks to all our coaches who are providing this opportunity for our students. See website for schedules. 7 Girls: Kayla Berg, Kim Fast; 7 Boys: Jozanne MacDonald with student helpers Cole Koop, Judah Beech; 8 Girls: 2 teams – Jordan Moyer, Steph Reimer; 8 Boys: Cameron Groenendijk; JV Girls: Katherine Andres, Steven Andres and Thea Kroeker; JV Boys: Ryan Malech; Var Boys: Jon Reimer, Glen Soper and Spencer Braun; Var Girls: Rob and Kate Giesbrecht
- Volunteer Drivers – Please remember that ONLY those who have completed the required documents may transport other students to and from a school event. Verbal or written permission from parents for their child be transported by someone who is not a registered driver is prohibited.
- The grade 11 Biology Class is has been given the opportunity to engage in a three day inquiry learning field trip. On October 26, November 1 and November 3 our students have been invited to attend the Youth BioLab. The Youth Biolab is located at the Albrechtsen Research Centre at St. Boniface hospital and is a space for students to explore and experience real biomedical science in a world-class research centre. Students will be working with real scientists in the field, and this will give students an opportunity to experience what a career in bio-medicine might be like.
- Fall Concert is on Thursday, October 27 at 7:00 pm in the gym. The grade 8, 9 and senior high band and choirs will perform. The grade 7’s need just a few more weeks and will be ready for the Christmas concert.
- Grade 9 Take Your Kid to Work Day is back this year on Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2022. Parents look for emails from Mr. Malech on more details.
- PTA Fundraiser – Show and Save Coupon Books orders are due Tuesday, Oct. 12. Please contact the office if you are still interested in ordering one. The money raised will go to support extracurricular activities for students.
- Immunizations for 7 to 9 students is on Wednesday Oct. 26. These are NOT Covid Immunizations. Forms from Public Health were sent home on Sept. 28. Grade 8 students are scheduled for T-Dap Vaccinations and Grade 7 and 9 students are receiving any missed vaccinations. All forms needed to be returned to the office by Friday, Oct. 7, whether they are receiving the vaccination or not.
- Please help get your child to school on time. School starts at 9:00 am. We have a few students that are coming after 9:00.
- DO NOT PASS BUSSES that are loading or unloading on school property. It is a traffic offence to pass any bus when the stop sign is out. Please wait until they have pulled the stop sign in before proceeding
- The renovated science lab is expected to be ready to go by the end of the month. It looks great.
- The SRSS Health Clinic is a partnership between Hanover School Division, Southern Health Santé-Sud and Steinbach Family Medical. The Nurse Practitioners (NP), employed by Southern Health Santé- Sud serve students at Steinbach Regional Secondary School as well as all schools in the Hanover School Division. The NP’s work collaboratively alongside the school’s teacher support specialists, public health nurse, youth substance use counselor, dietitians, and mental health workers. Through this innovative approach, the SRSS Health Clinic provides students with a single point of access to a team of health care professionals. By providing accessible care in school, health related absences are minimized. The NP’s facilitate a wide range of basic health care services that include, but are not limited to: complete physicals and checkups, treatment of minor/acute injuries and illness, minor procedures, blood work and specimen collection, diagnostic testing, mental health help and information, prescriptions and referrals to other health professionals or specialists. Appointments with Nurse Practitioner’s Christy and Brenda can be booked through the SRSS Health Clinic by calling 204-326-6426 ext. 5338, texting 204-392-0282 or emailing at email@example.com.
- Greg on Medical Leave: On Thursday, October 20, I am scheduled for bilateral knee replacement surgery. I am expecting to be off for 8 weeks. Mr. Scott Reimer will be interim principal and Mr. Ed Neufeld has been hired as vice principal. Mr. Neufeld has been a principal for many years in our school division serving at New Bothwell, Blumenort, Clearspring Middle School, Stoney Brook Middle School and the SRSS. His experience will be a great help to the staff, students and parents while I’m gone.
- Upcoming Dates
Oct. 21 MTS PD day – No School
Oct. 27 Fall Band Concert
Nov. 2 Take Your Kid to Work Day
Nov. 4 Picture Retakes
Nov. 11 Remembrance Day – no School
Nov. 14 Admin / PD Day – No School
Nov. 18 7 – 12 Report Cards Posted
Nov. 23 Parent-Teacher Evening.
Nov. 28 Admin / PD Day – No School
Dec. 14 Christmas Concert
Dec. 22 – Jan 4 Christmas Break