Here are some updates as we head into the last weeks before the Christmas Break.
- The last day of classes is on Wednesday, December 21. There are a variety of things being planned that may not be as academic as a regular day, but they are important for teachers to build relationships and community in the classroom and to celebrate the hard work that has been done so far. We value having the students here on that day.
- The Grade 11 and 12 students will be off to Salvation Army on Wednesday, December 21, to help sort and clean up the thousands of toy donations they receive at this time of year. This is something our school has been doing for over 12 years. The organization is very grateful for our help. The Salvation Army Toy Store is an opportunity for families to come pick out a toy for their child to receive at Christmas. All left over toys are sorted and stored so that they can be distributed throughout the year when families lose their homes, or they become displaced.
- Sixers Athletics Update
- Congratulations to the Varsity Boys Volleyball team for winning the Provincial AA Volleyball Championships in The Pas. The boys never lost a match and the only set they lost throughout the weekend was in the finals against Gabriel Roy (IDC). The boys won the third and final set 15- 9. Easton Dick and Scott Toews were named to the tournament all-star team. Easton Dick was also given the players choice award. This award recognizes the player who demonstrates leadership, a positive attitude and sportsmanship, and is selected by the captains from all participating teams. Will Soper and Easton Dick were selected to the Manitoba Volleyball Association Provincial Graduating All-Start Team and Mr. Reimer was selected as the coach.
- Thanks again to all our volunteer staff and community coaches for making this extracurricular opportunity available to our students. We had 9 volleyball teams, and it was great to see so many students involved and active.
- Basketball Season is about to start. JV and Varsity teams will be practicing next week. Grade 7 and 8 Basketball will start after the Christmas Break. Mr. Feakes is running morning basketball practices for any player who is interested.
- Sixers Music Update
- Everyone is invited to o the Landmark Collegiate Christmas Concert at the Prairie Rose EMC on Wednesday, December 14, at 7:00 pm. If you are not already in the Christmas spirit, this concert will certainly put you there. Our talented students will put on a terrific performance of band and choral Christmas and holiday music. The MPA will have a silver collection. Proceeds will be put towards supporting our band program. Thanks to all who supported the band fundraiser this past month.
- PTA Fundraiser: Thanks to everyone who supported the PTA Show and Save Fundraiser. This raised some much-needed money for our extracurricular events.
- We have had a few incidents of vaping in the senior high washrooms. We would like parents and guardians to know that it is against divisional policy for students to vape on school grounds and comes with a one-day suspension for the first offence and increasing lengths for subsequent offences. If your child does vape, please talk to them about choosing to do it off school grounds.
- It’s important that any student riding the bus have a warm jacket and gloves if the bus becomes inoperative while on route. Students will not be allowed to travel to shops, sporting events, or field trips if they are not dressed appropriately.
- As we move into winter the chance for inclement weather You can find school cancelation and bus delay information on the HSD website at https://hsd.ca.
- Please check the parent portal for outstanding fees. We currently have over $11 000.00 outstanding. If you have ordered hot lunches or have sports fees owing, please clear up the fees.
- Report cards. Please check the parent portal as report cards were posted there on Friday, November 18. If you missed parent teacher night on November 24, and would still like to meet with a teacher, please contact the teacher and arrangements can be made to discuss your child’s progress.
- The first day of classes after the break is Thursday, January 5, 2023. It will be day 5
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from all of us at Landmark Collegiate.
Have a safe and relaxing holiday everyone.