Our 35 grads will tell you that as of June 6, 2023, there are 14 days of regular classes and 21 sleeps till grad.
Here are some important dates in the month of June.
- Wednesday, June 7, Spring Concert and Art Showcase
- Thursday, June 8, Grade 7 and 8 Track Meet at StoneyBrook Middle School
- Wednesday, June 14, Grade 8 Field Trip to Camp Manitou
- Thursday, June 15, Grade 8 Learning Trip and Volunteer Trip to Salvation Army
- Friday, June 16, Annual Landmark Collegiate Talent Show
- Friday, June 23, Last Day of Classes for grade 9 – 12
- Monday and Tuesday, June 26 and 27. Last days to catch up missed work for grade 9 -12
- Tuesday, June 27, Grad Rehearsal at 10:00 am at PREMC
- Wednesday, June 28, 4:00 pm – Grad at Prairie Rose EMC
- Thursday, June 29. Last day of school for grade 7 and 8.
- Friday, June 30, Administration Day – No School
- Friday, June 30, 10:30 am – Report Cards Posted on parent portal
Grade 7 and 8 final day of school is on Thursday. June 29. Teachers are currently planning some fun activities for students to wind up the year. However, on Wednesday, June 28, many staff are busy preparing for grad on that day which is at 4:00 pm. There will not be any regular classes planned on that day and students do not need to attend. Any students who do come to school will likely be helping teachers with classroom cleanup etc. Some students may be asked to come in to finish up some required work. Grade 7 and 8 students will be asked to clean out their lockers by Tuesday, June 27.
- Thanks to Jordan Penner, Rob Giesbrecht (girl’s softball) and Kevin Plett (boy’s baseball) who coached our varsity teams. The girls finished second in zone playdowns.
- Ryan Malech and Glen Soper coached two boy’s teams at the provincial beach volleyball playdowns where the teams did very well.
- We have about 30 grade 7 and 8 students participating in the HSD Track and Field Meet at Stoneybrook Middle School on Thursday, June 8, 2023.
Other School Information
- Spring is also a great time to get in some learning trips. Teachers of various grades are looking at the educational opportunities that can extend the learning beyond the classroom. If you receive notification regarding a learning trip, please provide consent through the parent portal asap.
- Grad Information Of course, the school year ends with grad. This year grad is at 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday, June. 28, at the Prairie Rose EMC. Allison Kennedy is the valedictorian. Allison has been very involved in many school events throughout the years and will do a great job representing the graduating class and bidding a final farewell to the students and to the school. The grads have chosen Mrs. Marg Toews as their guest speaker. Marj has been a sub in the school for several years and has made some good connections with this year’s class. Victoria Welsh will provide the reply on behalf of the grads. The staff at Landmark Collegiate would like to wish all our graduates the very best as they enter the next phase of their life. A special thanks to Allison Kennedy, Victoria Welsh, Melanie Giesbrecht and Nathanael Pankraz for all the work that they put into creating the grad memory book. We are really looking forward to having it delivered later this month. Cost is $40.00 and will be placed on the parent portal
Some Important Grad Dates
- Friday, June 9 is the last day to order tickets to the grad banquet
- Friday, June 9 is the final day for grads to apply for grad awards in grad google classroom
- Tuesday, June 27, 10:00 – 12:00 am at Prairie Rose EMC is grad rehearsal – ALL MUST ATTEND
- Wednesday, June 28 at 4:00 pm – Convocation at Prairie Rose EMC Convocation
- Wednesday, June 28 at 6:45 pm – Banquet at Evergreen Village – by invite only
- Staffing Update for 2023 – 2024. As announced, Mr. Marlin Adrian will be the principal of Landmark Collegiate beginning in the fall. Mr. Adrian has been a vice principal at Green Valley Collegiate for the last 7 years and will do a fantastic job here at Landmark Collegiate. Jerrah-Lee Broesky has been hired as the half-time vice principal starting in September. Ms. Broesky will also serve as half-time learning support teacher, a role she is currently doing at Mitchell Middle School. And finally, Tristan Roberecki has been hired for a one-year term taking Mr. Malech’s position as he is taking a one year leave of absence.
- School Fees. Please check your account in the parent portal and finalize payment of outstanding school fees. We still have a considerable amount outstanding.
- All Library books need to be returned or renewed for the summer by June 16 or a replacement fee will be charged.
- A Special Thanks to our PTA for all the work that they have done throughout the year supporting our schools. PTA members this year were Angela Kroeker, Stephanie Reimer, Priscilla Gordon, Christina Azevedo, Tina Plett and Amy Ndahayo.
Some important dates for next year.
- Wednesday, August 23 – School office is open.
- Thursday, August 24 – Course Schedules and homeroom assignments released on parent portal
- Wednesday, September 6 – First day of classes
- Friday, September 8 – Picture Day
- Friday, September 15 and Monday September 18 – Grade 7 and 8 Strong Connections Days
- HSD transportation department has asked that if you are moving in the summer, please call their office at 1-204-320-2347 and notify them of the changes. This helps them as they plan bus routes for the start of school.
Other Community News
Jane Johnson is the Youth Engagement Leader for the Manitoba Youth Job Centres. The MYJC can help students and youth ages 13-29 find all kinds of employment. The Manitoba Youth Job Center located at 321 Main Street Steinbach is providing students and youth with the opportunity to learn more about working. MYJC provides students and youth with FREE services to help gain skills in the workplace. Along with providing services for students they have Odd Job squads for those who are not old enough to work, for ages 13-16 with parental permission. The Odd Job squad (also known as OJS) runs throughout the summer and is led by Jane to help youth learn more about employment. Odd Job squad host events planned by the youth and simulates a work environment. For those seeking employment between the ages of 16-29 they can provide job matching assistance for those who qualify. If you would like more info about Manitoba Youth Job Centers, please feel free to contact Jane regarding any questions at Jane.Johnson@gov.mb.ca or call anytime between 9am-12pm Monday through Friday at 1(204) 905-1423.
All the staff at Landmark Collegiate would like to thank all the students for a terrific year. Thanks to the parents/guardians for all your support.